Wednesday 23 February 2011

Skip Over or Skip to?

A couple of weeks ago Kris posted a blog about 'Keeping Calm and Turning to Page 394'.

Now everyone else seemed to immediately 'get' that this meant turning to the end of a book to find out how it ends.

I'm not sure what it says about me - maybe that some of the books I read are 500 pages long? - but my first thought was that this meant skip to the sex scene. lol

Which brings me to the subject of my post.

Recently I've found more and more often that I skip over the sex scenes. Maybe it's because they all seem to read the same - cock, thrust, cock, nipples, channel, cock,...yawn! I seem to find the characters have more chemistry when they're not having sex, than when they are.

I can't remember the last really good sex scene I read. (Thinking hard about it, it was probably a m/m, either Jordan Castillo Price or Josh Lanyon, and that was a while ago).

Maybe it's because as soon as the characters get in bed (or wherever) that they suddenly stop being the characters and become just two bodies performing a mechanical act. I know the best sex scenes I've read, told you something about the characters, it wasn't just about the sex.

Anybody else feel the same? Or are sex scenes still working for you?

7 comments:

Kris said...

I might read the first couple, but then I start skipping too. I don't know... read one sex scene, read 'em all?? Could be.

Sullivan McPig said...

I read them all, because even though some are indeed repetitive they're part of the story. But yes: I like the ones that tell something about the characters the most.

~ames~ said...

I noticed I've been skipping too. But if the writing is good, I read everything. Depends on the quality of the book.

Darlynne said...

No, they're not working, but I'm pretty sure it's me. If Lover Unleashed doesn't make me sit up and take notice, there is no hope.

Tracy said...

I think I'm like Kris - I'll read a couple but when they get too be too tedious or in too big of a quantity I start skimming and just read the dialogue (and not the ooohs and aaaahs. lol).

LesleyW said...

Kris - I think every so often I read one that peaks my interest but it seems to be happening less often.

Sullivan - I know I should read all of the story but sometimes I do find myself skipping over the pages. Especially if it feels like I've read the scene before.

LesleyW said...

Ames - I think if the writing has pulled you into the story then you're less likely to skip scenes. Whether they're sex scenes or any other kind.

Darlynne - don't worry you're not alone. But I keep hoping things will get better.

Tracy - I think you pick out the words and know when you can skim and when you have to start reading because the plot has started again. :)