Saturday 20 December 2008

Breakout Author for 2008

So it's coming up to that time of year again, and as I don't think I'll be finishing any more books before 2009, I'm going to post my 2008 breakout author(s).

For anyone new to the blog here's a little reminder of the breakout authors from previous years.

2005 - Elizabeth Vaughan for Warprize and J.R. Ward for Dark Lover.

2006 - Nalini Singh for Slave to Sensation.

2007 - Ilona Andrews for Magic Bites, Jeri Smith-Ready for Eyes of Crow and Jennifer Rardin for Once Bitten, Twice Shy

These are authors that caught my imagination and pulled me into the world they created. They wrote books that I didn't want to end, and left me desperate to read more. They weren't necessarily new authors, just new to me.

2008 has been a tricky year. Nothing has stood out amazingly for me in Urban Fantasy, there have been books I've really enjoyed but they didn't quite make me go wow!

So my breakout authors for 2008 both wrote m/m and they are R.W.Day for A Strong and Sudden Thaw (republished January 2009) and Ginn Hale for Wicked Gentlemen.

Just bubbling under were Elizabeth Hoyt for The Raven Prince - I have finally found a historical romance author that I can read! And Larissa Ione for Pleasure Unbound, I think my favourite new urban fantasy author of the year.

2 comments:

Carolyn Crane said...

Great post. I've been wanting to read that Ginn Hale. And I didn't know you were naming breakout authors, but I love it!

LesleyW said...

Carolyn Jean - I highly recommend Wicked Gentlemen. I've never read steam punk before but I was completely pulled in to the world. And it was so vividly written.

And breakout authors, lol, I'm not quite sure how I started naming my favourite new author of the year. But I've been doing it for a few years now. I'm always on the lookout for my next author to be addicted to.