Wednesday 21 July 2021

Hollowpox by Jessica Townsend

The blurb - "...a strange illness has taken hold of Nevermoor, turning its peaceable Wunimals into mindless, vicious unnimals on the hunt. As victims of the Hollowpox multiply, panic spreads. And with the city she loves in a state of fear, Morrigan quickly realises it is up to her to find a cure for the Hollowpox, even if it will put her - and the rest of Nevermoor - in more danger than ever before ..."

If you haven't read the previous two Nevermoor books do not start here. I do not think I can stress that enough - DO NOT START HERE! This story builds upon what has already happened and I really don't think you'll appreciate the depth of the story if you don't understand how the characters have reached this point.

The end of book 2 made me weep - if you've read it you'll know why - I actually found it emotionally devastating. I was talking about book 2 with someone (who had finished book 3) a few weeks ago and just thinking about it made me start crying. So I was slightly surprised that those events are only mentioned in passing once and that is the only niggle I have about this book. (Bearing in mind I'm reading an ARC - I am getting this book in hardcover, though, for my bookshelf).

I love how Jessica Townsend is able to combine the plot of this book - the outbreak of Hollowpox - with the everyday events that are happening in Nevermoor, superb character development, and an ongoing story arc that started in the first book.

Something that happened at the very beginning of this book made me think - damn! I need to go back and read the second book again to see how what I've just read affects what I read then.

Morrigan's character develops significantly in this book. She's definitely more of a teenager now, is quite an independent thinker but often doesn't think her actions through. It will be interesting to see how this sometimes reckless behaviour plays out in the next book, especially as it's clear that she's a person who cares a lot about her friends and adopted family but often acts on impulse. 

I think she also sees more in this book, partly the fallibility of some of the adults in her life - that they don't always have the answers, but also understanding more about how the world of Nevermoor works. 

We learn more about Ezra Squall in this book - but not enough! Very intriguing the path that his character took here, as we learn more about what he was like before he became the monster he is considered to be.

The writing is just beautiful. 

"There's three of us! And I've easily got the strength of three people, so technically there's five of us."

"Technically still three," Francis disagreed.

And.

Cadence shrugged. "That's different."

"How is it different?"

"It's different because I'm actually good at this stuff and you're actually rubbish," she said.

Not just the quotability of it, but the use of language. How Morrigan is learning about fire in this book and there is fire imagery throughout the book just subtly (and not so subtly sometimes) woven into the story.

Page 412 of the ARC I made a note - This is not going where I thought it was - I love that! I read a lot and watch a lot of fantasy television as well. It is not often that I think  - "I wasn't expecting that." 

I love that in reading this book, it feels like I've taken a trip to another world. It's a book and a series that you can read over and over again, and each time find something new. I cannot recommend this book and series  highly enough.

(I received a copy of an ARC for review.)

No comments: