Saturday 31 July 2010

DIK Challenge Review - The Vampire Shrink by Lynda Hilburn

My DIK reading challenge book for July is The Vampire Shrink by Lynda Hilburn. This was a pick of Lea's. Now I guess it had to happen sooner or later but I really didn't get on with this book. Sorry Lea. I feel bad because I know you must like it else you wouldn't have it as one of your picks. But my thoughts are below.

The Vampire Shrink tells the tale of Denver pyschologist Kismet Knight. Kismet doesn't believe in the paranormal, preferring to believe that everything has a rational explanation but when a new client introduces her to the vampire subculture pretty soon she's in over her head. In the midst of a murder investigation Kismet realizes she has feelings not only for vampire Deveraux, but also for an FBI profiler. However, she's also the target of a killer, so her schedule is pretty full up.

What I liked:-

Beautiful cover. Would definitely make me want to pick it up in a bookstore and read the blurb.

I also think the premise was a good one.

However, the major problem I had with the book was that I didn't like Kismet. Always a stumbling point for a first person novel if you can't get on with the protagonist.

Why didn't I like her. The character is constantly telling us what's happening, she's overly aware. Every time I started to sink into the story she'd say or think something that would knock me out of it. She's also pretty up herself.
"Having such fair skin was a blessing most of the time, because I always appeared younger than I was..."
Hmmm. Who looks in a mirror and thinks that about themselves? So unfortunately she comes across as fake - more like an actress playing the character of Kismet rather than Kismet herself.

Also and this isn't a fault of the book as such. But Kismet is always noticing when her nipples get hard. Now I challenge anyone to read The Unfeasibly Tall Greek Billionaire - by Tumperkin, Carrie Lofty, Carolyn Jean, Ann Aguirre, Kate Rothwell and Lisabea. And then take any character who is constantly noticing when her nipples get hard, seriously. I don't think it's possible.

Then once I'd got TUTGB in my head I couldn't get it out. So lines like
"His lap was filled with a large erection."
Struck me as funny when I'm not sure they were meant to. Or if they were meant to I didn't get that they were meant to. And within the first 50 pages she's already got three guys after her. Basically she got on my wick.

Kismet also contradicts herself, says things she couldn't possibly know - commenting on a woman she's only just met she says - she always seemed on the verge of laughing out loud. You've only just met her, how can you possibly know that she 'always' seems on the verge of laughing out loud.

So this one isn't for me. But if everyone liked the same books the world would be a very boring place. The Amazon reviews seem pretty divided as well, so I think this is one you'll either love or hate and I fall into the latter category.

6 comments:

Chris said...

I didn't mind this one when I read it... but I couldn't bring myself to read the sequel.

And hey! It's Neck Crick Guy on the cover! :)

LesleyW said...

Chris - NCG certainly gets around. :)

Chris said...

Oh yes. I have enough new covers for another post, actually. :)

Sullivan McPig said...

Kismet doesn't sound like someone i would like.

Tracy said...

Sorry you didn't like it. It does sound like a good premise but the problems you pointed out would probably make me batty. I might try it anyway, just to see what I think. :)
Good review Lesley!

LesleyW said...

Sullivan - You never know you might like the story. But I think it's a case of if you don't like the heroine then you'll struggle.

Tracy - Well I'll be giving a copy away. :)