Tuesday 29 June 2010

Challenge Update

We're roughly halfway through the year so this seems like a good opporunity to review how I'm doing with my reading challenges. The overall response so far is probably best summed up as - could do better.

DIK Challenge

Currently 5/12 books. Pretty much right on track, just need to get June's book finished and reviewed.


M/M Challenge

Currently 5/20 books. Maybe I should have picked one of the smaller challenges. Will have to try and squeeze more m/m books in during the second half of 2010


52 books in 52 weeks

So far only read 15 books! That seems a very small number. Way behind on this one, not sure I'll make it to 52.


12 Knitting/Crocheting Projects
4/12. Two jumpers, a pair of socks and a crochet throw. Don't think I'll make it up to 12 projects, that was admittedly a little too ambitious. Maybe 8 would be a more realistic target. Have started my fifth project a sweater in Araucania Patagonia, and had to undo it because I can't get the ******* tension right. Am leaving it a few days before I try again.


So what about you? Did you start any reading/knitting challenges in January? Are you on target or have you given up? Have you readjusted your challenges or are you going to try and make an extra effort in the next six months. Any hints or tips for getting back on track or is the journey more important than the destination? :)

I've a copy of A Basket of Wishes by Rebecca Paisley to give to one poster to this thread. Winner to be chosen by random number at randomnumber.org on Saturday.

10 comments:

Chris said...

I have inadvertently completed the Big Book Challenge, which I didn't enter. Does that count? And I think I'm done with the M/M Challenge, which I set to the max number of books. I did that one because it was a sure thing.

I generally don't do challenges, because they're a great way to ensure I never knit/read another of whatever the challenge is for. I'm contrary, I know.

Sarai said...

I currently have a 1000 challenges going and I am no way near to completing any of them. I gave up on the DIK challenge and my historical challenge is shot to hell.

I'm still working on my Hero Challenge, Romance Challenge and 10+ Book challenge... although its slow going since I've been in a slump.

I have though sworn off challenges next year...

Nicole said...

I signed up for the 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge, because I've done it before and it's fun. So far I'm at 39/52 books read for the year. I don't think there will be a problem with finishing this one...

As to knitting, I've started knitting challenges before, and never seem to complete them, so I didn't sign up for any this year.

Nicole said...

Oops. Make that 42. I hadn't updated my list...

Sullivan McPig said...

I don't enter challenges as I am a difficult reader, I only read a book when the book feels right for me at that moment, so I'd never be able to finish a challenge. I also almost never borrow books from friends as they usually stay on the shelf for months before I feel like reading them and most of my friends are not that patient and want their book back before then.

LesleyW said...

Chris - maybe inadvertently completing them is the best way to go. :) I'm pretty sure I'll complete the m/m challenge, and hopefully the DIK challenge. The others I'm not so sure of.

Sarai - I suddenly feel better. :) I think next year there will be fewer challenges for me, with maybe more realistic goals. Or I might just make a concerted effort on one challenge.

LesleyW said...

Nicole - Wow, you've done 42 compared to my 15. I think I need to at least be at 20. Will have to get in some reading over the summer hols. And I think I'm revising my knitting challenge down to 8 projects. This was more a challenge to myself anyway, so I'm allowed to do that. :)

LesleyW said...

Sullivan - you've reminded me that I have two non-fiction books which I've been lent by friends. I must try really hard to read at least one of them.

LSUReader said...

I haven’t signed up to participate in any reading challenges. I am using a new spreadsheet to keep better track of the books I’ve read--how many are ebooks, current-year books, romances versus other genres, that sort of thing. So far, I’ve read 84 books; 31 of them were ebooks.

LesleyW said...

LSUReader - you make me want to get more organised. At the moment I'm happy when I remember to update my Goodreads account. And I've just remember I did have a spreadsheet though I can't remember the last time I updated it. Methinks that might be a job for the summer holiday.