Thursday 24 May 2007

Reviewing Books

Up until now, I've been pretty lucky with the books I have read recently. I think I've got to the point where I'm pretty savvy with my book buying. I only make a slip every so often.

The reason I'm writing this post, is that I may have given the impression that I love every book I read, or I'm only blogging about books that I love. The books I'm writing about are the ones I'm reading. If I pick up a book that I don't like, I'm gonna write about it. And I've just read one I didn't really get on with.

Saying that, I hope by now people have got an idea of the books I like. If you like the books I like you may want to bear my opinion in mind, more than if you don't. So when you read my review of a book I don't like - that's my personal taste. You may love the author, or the style. But, for whatever reason it just didn't work for me.

So brace yourselves. :)

4 comments:

Nicole said...

If you haven't read Holly Lisle, you may want to try her. She and Ms. Viehl often comment on each other's books, and sometimes write blurbs for the other.

I have read and would suggest any/all of the following, depending on whether the back cover blurbs interest you:
NIGHT ECHOES
SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
GLENRAVEN (co-written with Marian Zimmer-Bradley)

Nicole said...

Also, I do the same thing with book reviews. And yet if you look at the reviews I do, I usually post glowing - or at least nice - comments. I guess I just don't have the time to read books whose synopses don't sound like ones I want to read at the moment.

LesleyW said...

I started to read one of her (Holly Lisle) series but couldn't get into it. It was called The Secret Texts. I think because I wanted the story with the lady who was turning into a dragon/demon/lizard (been a while since I read it and I can't remember which it was) to go in a different direction to what it was. I only read the first two. But I will check out your recommendations. :)

This book kind of slipped under my radar. There was a lot of hype about it and I admit I didn't check it out as thoroughly as I should have done. I could tell from reading the first couple of pages that I wasn't going to get on with it, but after I'd bought it I thought I better make a darn good effort to read the thing.

Naomi said...

I read the first two Secret Text books, but could never find the third. And then I lost the first book qhwn I moved back from university and decided to sell the second. I loved Diplomacy of Wolves (the first) but found the second one (Vengeance of Dragons?) nowhere near as compelling.