Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Reading Resolution for 2011

Whoops, I appear to have lost the first two weeks of January.

Having managed to read only 36 books in 2010 I have decided not to buy* any new books in 2011**.

At my current reading speed it will take me approximately ten years to get through my TBR pile. I think I need to make a serious dent in it before buying any more new books.

Obviously this is going to slightly limit how well I do in my series completion challenge but in most cases I have the next three or four books of most series on my TBR pile anyway. (Plus see *). Also it's going to be something of a challenge to stick to not buying books anyway, but I'm determined to give it a go.


* - Of course this doesn't include when I receive book vouchers or receive books as presents. :) (And luckily I won the DIK reading challenge so have a voucher stashed away for when the new Ilona Andrews/Patricia Briggs/Seanan McGuire/other favourite author is released this year).

** If I crack, which I likely will at some point, I'll be honest and post about it. But two weeks into January my intention is to clear as many shelves as possible on my TBR bookcases.

5 comments:

Kris said...

*tips hat* Best of lyck to you, Lesley. I wouldn't even attempt to do such a thing. Self-sabotage at it's worst.

LesleyW said...

Kris - resolutions always seem like a good idea in January. :) If I manage to keep to it until June I'll be very impressed - let alone the whole year.

I fear if I manage 12 months, Christmas 2011 will be marked with a massive book buying frenzy.

Nicole said...

Sounds like a good plan - I hope it works out for you! I know the feeling... need to clear off my TBR pile, too.

Renee said...

Good luck, Lesley!

I hear ya' about the tbr. I'm trying to focus more on that for 2011.

LesleyW said...

Nicole - it's working at the moment. Whether I'll be saying the same in a few months may be a different matter.

Renee - the TBR pile is going to be my big thing for 2011. Even if I only manage to read 36 books again, hopefully at least 30 of them will be off the TBR. Have to be realistic - there's no way I'm not getting the new Ilona Andrews. :)