Sunday, 28 November 2010

Back on the Book Buying Wagon (Very Temporarily)

So yesterday I was in Birmingham - Christmas shopping. And I somehow (lol) found myself in Waterstones.

The store has a pretty darn good Urban, Sci-Fi and Fantasy selection. (I was quite impressed that they seem to have shelved all the UF together). And everything was 3 for 2. So first I found two books, which meant I HAD to find a third. Then I was at five books which meant I HAD to find a sixth. (These are all being put up for Christmas)

So in the end I came away with:-

Unholy Magic and City of Ghosts by Stacia Kane. Renee's post at DIK this week reminded me I needed to pick these up. It felt like they were calling to me.

Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs - one of the series I've ended up getting behind on.

Changeless and Blameless by Gail Carriger. I read Soulless this year and this was another series I wanted to stay up to date with.

Finally I got The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson. This is a little out of left field for me. I don't usually read what I think of as 'straight' fantasy - fantasy without urban elements. Also this is a very chunky book - 643 pages - and I'm still trying to find time to read Demon Moon by Meljean Brook and I don't think DM is that long. But I needed a sixth book and I have a vague memory of reading a good review about the Mistborn series (possibly on Renee or Tracy's blog?), and did I mention I needed a sixth book?

So back to not buying books and tackling the TBR pile again.

3 comments:

Renee said...

Wow, great books!

Yes, I'm the avid Mistborn fan. The worldbuilding was a bit challenging at first, but SO worth it. I sort of just trusted things would fall into place as I kept reading, and they really did. Awesome series.

Same goes for Downside Ghosts.

I still have Changeless on my tbr. I was waiting for Blameless, since I'd heard there was a cliffhanger. It's out now, but I still haven't gotten 'round to it.

Enjoy the haul, Lesley!

Nicole said...

I have Soulless on my TBR pile, so I'm glad to know you felt the series worth reading. I'll be curious to see what you think of Mistborn... I've heard of them, but haven't looked at the series myself to see if it would fit my reading preferences.

LesleyW said...

Renee - thanks. :) I was pretty sure you were the Mistborn fan but I wasn't 100% certain. Will probably be hiding away on Boxing Day to catch up on the Downside Ghosts series.

Nicole - I really liked Soulless. I think partly because I read it shortly after reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time and I was in the right frame of mind. I'll post my thoughts about Mistborn #1 here when I get round to reading it, but it's a very chunky book.