Wednesday, 11 November 2009

I was at Borders...

...on Sunday, doing a little book browsing to cheer myself up. I picked up Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick as a Christmas present, it's hardback so I may have a little read before it gets wrapped up. Beautiful cover which is what made me pick it up and read the blurb.

I also picked up Covet by J.R.Ward. Now, I didn't plan on following this series but I felt like I deserved something as a treat (besides the vanilla and cinnamon candle I picked up near the checkout - my favourite scents) and as usual when I'm Borders the 80 books on my wishlist just vanish from my brain.

Tonight I decide to have a little flick through at the best bits - :) - as you do. Two words kept popping out at me 'As' (As he.., As she.., As they..,) and 'And'. There seem to be a disproportionately high number of them. It will probably be a while before I get round to reading this but I have the bad feeling that my internal editor is going to get a little hair trigger on this one.

3 comments:

Darlynne said...

Lesley, don't forget "which." Every time that word begins a sentence, as opposed to the clause for which (ha) it's intended, I drop right out of the story. I'll be interested to hear your take on Covet.

Mary M. said...

The problem with Ward is that puts period marks in the middle of normal sentences to make shorter, punchy sentences that are totally ungrammatically correct. From there, the ands and whichs. As for the as...well, maybe she does overdo them a bit. My level of English is just good enough for me to be able to notice it..at times :), but not good enough that it would actually bother me. If I saw something similar in my own language though it would drive me up the wall.

I bought the book when it came out but still haven't read it either. I will but still don't know when. It's purely a matter of mood with me and has little to do with the quality of the book. It took me 4 months before reading the lastest Harry Dresden novel and that series' never disappointed me so far.

And visiting a bookstore does have a way to mess with one's good intentions :-D

Donna B. said...

Well, I also put periods in the middle of normal sentences and end up creating grammatically incorrect lines, so I can't fault Ward for that.

I did read Covet . . . or at least I started to. Let's just say I won't be reading the next book. :-)

Donna